Sunday, September 4, 2011

Long time no...sew?

Devon here. Reporting live from the disorganization that is my sewing closet.  :/  In an attempt to re-organize my life apartment, I decided it would be a great idea to clean up this sewing closet and see what projects I could be working on (but obviously am not working on).

Gasps of horror. I know. But with the evening to myself and plenty of episodes of Keeping Up with the Kardashians on the DVR it seemed an excellent time to take stock of what I have.
Did I mention that I am cutting myself off from buying any more potential projects until I finish everything that I have. That means EVERYTHING, including knitting. Besides I don't think my closet could take much more of this!

So, let's take stock of what could be some up-and-coming projects in the Land of Devon's Crafts. Sorry for the less-than-perfect photos, but it was nighttime and I didn't want to get crazy with lighting because I am lazy.

Project #1: McCall's 6070 in blue polka-dot micro jersey knit

I had planned on making a cute summery dress this season and thought this polka-dot would be super cute. It says it is an easy pattern so maybe I could sew this up in no time. I plan on making view A which is the shorter version of the dress worn by the model on the cover. Simple, cute, and summery.

Project #2: Butterick B5613 in 100% cotton pin dot black fabric

This skirt was inspired by a skirt I saw at The Limited but didn't want to spend the money on. This is the original inspiration.

I liked the cute pin dots with the black piping for a classy work look or just to wear out on the town. But I also like skirts that feel simple and easy like this skirt from Forever 21. I like the black elastic waist band and decided that I could make the pin dot skirt and attach a 2" wide black elastic band for a simple finish that was easy and wearable.
 Project #3: McCalls 5591 (again) in khaki cotton fabric with black accents
This skirt was also inspired by a look from The Limited that would work well for both work and play. The original look is actually a dress, but I thought that I could easily re-create this look with a two-toned skirt and a black tanktop but still have the versatility of pairing this skirt with other tops.
This would be from the same pattern as The Bird Skirt that I completed back in June. It should come together easily since I'm already familiar with the pattern.

Project #4: Butterick B5555 in shirting fabric with cadet blue dot clusters
I also liked this pattern for a blousey work top. I'm not completely inspired to do this pattern right now so it probably won't be one of the first ones I dive into. I will definitely do one of the tops instead of the dress but I haven't really made a hard and fast decision on the long or short top at this point.

Beyond these projects I have 2 finished projects that I need to make alterations/corrections on to perfect them, a few knitting projects that could use some finishing, and a blanket in the works. I didn't want to overwhelm you with all of my multiple unfinished projects grand ambitions so perhaps those can go up in a different post.

The funniest part about all of this is that I haven't even been inspired to sew since my previous project (that needs alterations) sucked out all of my sewing mojo because I had to finish it for a friend's wedding. Let's just say that staying up until midnight the night before after sewing all day kind of sucked the fun out of it. But never fear, I did pick up my knitting to get some crafting juices flowing. Updates to come. Just for fun I will leave you with a teaser of the dress that killed my mojo. Once I finish the alterations (i.e. busted zipper and disattached bow) I will post a nice, long finished project post.


No comments:

Post a Comment