Monday, December 12, 2011

A Christmas Gift for Devon

Another weekend spent sewing! I will admit that the majority of Saturday was spent baking Christmas cookies, so my priorities weren't totally straightened out. I have forgone the stocking project in lue of no time until traveling begins. I also still have potholders to make for a friend I'm having dinner with on Friday, so I have a few evenings to button those up. But enough about failures, let's talk about finished projects!

Devon, peek if you want, but they are spoilers!! Here's what you'll be getting in the mail...


Intriguing, but what are they?! Well, that big, gorgeous pop of red below is your tree skirt! It matches the one I made last week, although I did rearrange the panels so we wouldn't be matchy-matchy. Neti helped me quilt, purr the usual (get it?! purr?! haha).


I just did a simple meandering stipple. Can you see how much this thread dusted? I mean, look at the housing for the needle. It's COVERED! I owe my machine another good clean after these projects. I even got an oil light! Which means I have WAY been overusing this thing.


After free motion quilting it I cheated and machine bound. Hope that's ok, Devon! Again, it's matchy-matchy with mine, don't worry. I half-assed mine too. Look at that cute Santa face!


As I put on the finishing touches Neti was having fun digging in to it.


A little to much fun.


And whallah! The finished tree skirt. The binding is a little messy on that inner circle, I need some more practice there, but your binding looks WAY better than mine overall. Shucks. :)


So I added a tag, so you'd always remember it was from me and folded it up in readiness to ship. But Devon had also requested a mini-quilt for her coffee table. So I pounded one out in a day!


Tadah! All the same fabrics you see in the tree skirt, but so much more fun, at least I think so. I had a lot of fun just drafting this pattern as I went. A little bit crazy quilt, a lot a bit structured. I'm crazy about the plaid binding. I usually like to bind in a darker color, but I think this looks just great! I was going for something square but I kind of like that it's more rectangle.


I did some really simple grid-squares quiling which I think looks great without taking away from the mix and match Christmas trees. The tree trunks are even from a fuzzy fabric (left over from the skunk quilt made a million years ago) so you can pet it if you want, haha.


I needed/wanted some major contrast on the back and look at this fabric! I had planned on making some Christmas placemats like two years ago and got bored, so I had never touched the backing fabric. Finally I have some use for it. I love the giant snowflakes. The hubby said this was his favorite fabric. I always seem to the put the favorites on the back.


I tagged this one as well, folded it up, and am ready to ship! Hopefully you get it before we all head to Florida so it gets a little use. I'm excited for Devon to see it in person! I didn't have time to wash these though, so you may want to prior to use just for that crinkle look. I'd love crinkle pictures. Just one more project and then it's Christmas time! So expect a little hiatus. I'm traveling everywhere!

This Sunday- Boston, Tuesday- Tampa, Thursday- D.C., Monday- Seattle. I'm going to be exhausted!! Maybe I should get a new knitting project for all that air time. And an extra book.

Merry Christmas & Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment