Monday, April 2, 2012

Little Projects in Little Time

A weekend spent sewing! A much needed weekend spent sewing. After spending a week in Boston followed by a hectic work week back in Seattle it was nice to settle in to a weekend at the Bernina. As you can see, I was joined by Neti.

I decided to focus on small projects. Believe it or not after that powerhouse One Block Wonder I was exhausted of quilting. Followed by that Victorian Festive lap quilt, which I have yet to quilt, I just wasn't feeling like another big project. So my focus was small.

A new pillow! Now the other pillows don't match, but I figure I can slowly convert them all over to quilted pillows. At first I think the hubby was skeptical, but with it's added batting plushness this pillow is now his favorite on the couch. I used only scraps from my bins. Yay! I had purchased this beautiful color gradient pink for a baby quilt. His mom was just sure he was a girl. Oops! So I got some new fabric for the baby quilt and had a ton for pillow backing!

I also worked on that vest for a friend. I was told this was his favorite vest of all, and he wears them everyday. As a bartender this is his uniform. I got cocky one night and told him, oh yeah, I can fix that. Well, I hadn't seen it yet.

Did I mention that I have no patience for sewing clothes? See all the holes? Particularly in the underarm area? Yeah, this needed some major work.

At first I only wanted to take out the back and replace it, but once I seam ripped it out I realized that the inner lining to the front panels was all tattered, and I wasn't going to do half of a job, my name was at stake! I ended up replacing the whole back and inner linings. It's basically a brand new vest. I fought this thing the whole way, yet remained patient and calm. It was a full 5 hours spent at my sewing machine but I'm pretty happy with the results.

There are definitely some mistakes, but I'm hoping I'm the only one who will catch them because I was looking so closely at it. I think I did right by the vest. Good Lord, I hope it fits!

I also replaced the leather seat to the hubby's Puch moped, which was frustrating and a feat in itself. It does, however, look great. He's happy so I'm happy. He has yet to send me pictures of it (ahem!).

With three tiny projects behind me I could hear the 30's repro fabric calling my name! Another big quilt it is! So I cut down my Kona Cotton fabric to 5"x 5" and got started!

The goal for this one is to make the entire quilt out of HST (half square triangles). It's going to take a LOT of sewing and cutting and sewing to make it happen, but I found a great shortcut for getting 4 HST at once! You sew the white block to your patterned block all around the edges. Then just cut them like you would a PB&J sandwich for a kid into four triangles. Whallah! 4 HST! I haven't gotten that far yet. I have 84 of these to sew (and if you do the math that equates to 336 HST). Yesterday I sewed 42. I know, I'm crazy.

The fabric totally reminds me of Easter, too, so it was great working on it knowing that Easter is this coming weekend! This week I'm in Ohio for work, so another week away from the sewing machine. Don't worry, next weekend should at least result in cutting those HSTs down to size. The hubby is also asking for a carrying case for his files (not paper files, metal files). I already have some ideas for that one. I think that robot fabric may be rearing its head again.

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment