Monday, November 19, 2012

Mermaids. I want one!

I spent the weekend sewing. It seemed like such a LONG weekend and I guess that would have something to do with me actually getting up early and going!

 
I went to a quilt show in Puyallup this weekend and bought one or two items, though nothing compared to the grandma's there racking up $170 tabs at each booth. Insanity! I got a cute Christmas embroidery pattern to work on, which I think I may take home over Christmas, a few fat quarters for a mother-in-law Christmas present, and two fat quarters for me! I also spent some time drooling over the long arm quilting machine demos there (le sigh). Afterwards, I went home (called Grandma), cleaned, and started sewing!
 
First things first, for this Baby Hailey quilt (soon-to-be sister of Baby Liam) I had to figure out a pattern for the blocks.


I chose the option on the right. The hubby preferred the left, but right just felt right to me. (haha!) The blocks then just started to flow.
 
 
Anyone who knows me knows I'm obsessed with mermaids. The entire time I worked on this quilt I was thinking of ways I could keep it and start over for Baby Hailey. How selfish! But I can't help it. These mermaids are adorable! 


 
Neti was, of course, overly involved in the entire process, which I love/hate. The hubby snapped a few pictures.


 
The finished top! Beautiful (if I do say so myself). I'm in love with this. I want one for me. I may have to go get some more fabric just to stash away for a later date.

 
Not the best picture in the world but I love the "cat vision" effect it has. I had to include it.

 
Neti helped measure for the backing.



I got this pretty pink and white zigzag (Michael Miller), but with all the busy front, I felt it was a bit boring. Also, I altered the pattern pretty dramatically when it came to fabric choices (not using a layer cake as requested) so I ended up having a bit of extra fabric.


And whallah! I really, REALLY cool backing for this quilt.

 
The plan is to baste tonight and start quilting over my FIVE DAY WEEKEND! That's right. Five days. Jealous? I can't wait! It's going to be a sewing extravaganza. I have a lot to squeeze in to this little time period. Goals are to finish Baby Hailey's quilt and finish mother-in-law's present. I think I can do it. I'll keep you posted!
 
Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment